US Provisional Patent Application
Let Grell & Watson help you prepare and file a US Provisional Patent Application protecting your invention and get you to Patent Pending.
15 years of Patent Experience
How much does it cost to file a Provisional Patent? – Provisional Patent Costs
US Provisional Patent: Attorney time ~$1100 to prep the US Provisional Patent Office filing forms and efile your written description and figure(s). We will draft an Abstract, Alternate Embodiment Clause, Broad Interpretation Clause & a First Patent Claim of your single invention and redline your record of Invention. Time to prep: 1 week ~$1100-1500.
Protect your Invention ASAP.
How to file a Provisional Patent.
- prepare several drawings or pictures of prototypes are the best way to disclose an invention in a patent application
- at least show i) whole view invention, ii) disassembled view of parts of invention, and iii) invention being used
- label the parts or elements in each figure, drawing, or picture
- write at least one paragraph, preferably more, describing what is shown in each figure, drawing, or picture
- draft a summary of how parts are assembled
- draft a summary of how invention is used
- draft a summary of the problem being solved
Contact Grell & Watson by email for a Provisional Patent Template.
What is a Provisional Patent?
A Provisional Application:
- is a temporary US patent application that lasts for a year, which does not mature into an issued US patent (not examined by the USPTO) unless further steps are taken by the applicant within twelve (12) months of filing the provisional application.
- Once filed you are patent pending and free to disclose, market, and sell the invention during this time period.
- Such applications are designed to provide lower cost first patent filing by reducing the formal requirements, such as, not requiring formal drawings, claims, oath and declarations, or an information disclosure statement. However, if drafted properly (adequate technical written description and figures) the patent provisional application provides the inventor with an application priority date and “patent pending” status. Note a patent provisional must be converted to a non-provisional application within one year of the filing date to maintain priority based on the provisional filing. Failure to file the non-provisional could result in loss of US patent rights, including a complete bar to obtaining a patent. Patent applications for a provisional are NOT examined by an Examiner at the USPTO.
Call for a Free Consultation on getting to Patent Pending
Get to Patent Pending and make sure your Invention is Protected.
Provisional Patent – Experienced & Affordable
Need legal help with a Provisional in Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Austin, or Raleigh?
Provisional Patent Attorney, Provisional Patent Lawyer
Grell & Watson Offices:
Atlanta NE- Savannah, Sandy Springs, Rosewll, Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Brookhaven, Dunwoody, Gainesville, Peachtree Corners, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Sugar Hill, Gwinnett County
I-85: 4989 Peachtree Parkway, Norcross, Georgia 30092. (678) 202-5990 Email
Atlanta NW- Marietta, Smyrna, Kennesaw, Woodstock, Canton, Cobb County
I-75: 1870 The Exchange, Atlanta, Georgia 30090. (678) 383-4886 Email
Atlanta Downtown: 2875 Royal Bluff, Decatur, Georgia 30030. (404) 596-7333 Email
Charlotte: 1800 Camden Road, Charlotte NC 28203. (704) 625-7747 Email
Raleigh: 4801 Glenwood Avenue, Suite 200, Raleigh, NC 27612. (919)-825-3309 Email
Dallas: 5225 Maple Avenue, Dallas, TX 75235. 214-702-5247 Email
Fort Worth: 4833 Bryant Irvin Court, Suite 100, Fort Worth, TX 76107. 817-500-0705 Email
Austin: 1606 Bryant Irvin Court, Austin, TX 78723 737-255-5100 Email
Need help with Patenting a Product in Atlanta, Austin, Charlotte, Dallas, & Raleigh.
Experienced & Affordable