US Design Patent Application – Fixed Fee Quote $1800-3,500
Let Grell & Watson help you prepare and file a US Design Patent Application protecting your invention and get you to Patent Pending.
Call Now (see below)
15 years of Patent Experience
Need help with a Design Patent Application for Patent? IP Lawyer in Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Dallas, Austin?
How much does it cost to Patent a Design?
Design Patent Application: Attorney time to prep a US patent application for a single embodiment invention; however, depends on complexity of your invention, number of drawings, plus a ~$550-~$1000 USPTO filing fee (depends on no. of claims, figures, total page count), and $100 per drawing draftsman charge. Moreover, professional patent drawings are essential in patents for design drafting fees average ~$100 per page formal drawing draftsman charge. Please note, I can only quote a range since I do not know the details of the invention. Also, professional patent drawings are essential in patents for design drafting fees average ~$100 per page formal drawing draftsman charge. ~$1800-3,500. Time to prep: ~2 weeks. We quote a fixed fee application pricing once we understand your invention.
Protect your Invention ASAP
How to file a US Design Patent Application. How to Patent an Idea Invention. How to apply for a Patent on a design
- first, prepare several drawings or pictures of prototypes are the best way to disclose an invention in a patent application
- at least show i) whole view invention, ii) disassembled view of parts of invention, and iii) invention being used
- label the parts or elements in each figure, drawing, or picture
- draft a claim set
- The written document of a US patent for design includes a title, technical field, description of the drawings, a claim, and one or more drawings of the invention.
What is a Patent for Design?
- A US design patent covers any new, original and ornamental design for a product (of manufacture) and has a term of 15 years in the US Patent & Trademark Office.
- A Patent for Design protects only the appearance of the article and not structural or useful features. Appearance includes visual ornamental characteristics embodied in, or applied to, an article of manufacture, including configuration or shape of an article, surface ornamentation applied to an article, or to the combination of configuration and surface ornamentation of an article of manufacture. There is not a provisional design application.
Utility Patent vs Design Patent – Understand the Difference
Take a door knob as an example. The inner workings or elements that when the knob is rotated cause a pin to move in and out. This is a utility patent. The ornamental three dimensional shape (3D) of the different styles of door knobs. This is a design that can be patented.
How long are Patent for Design are good for?
US Patent for Design are good for 15 years from the date the patent office grants them.
Design Patent Examples: